about the specialization
The study links drawing as a tool for thinking and implementation as an opportunity to decide on material and process. The basic concepts of both illustration and graphic art specifically relate to the whole living tradition carried by lasting values related to images and text. The focus of the study is to balance the proportions of the historical legacy and current ways of working in an intense insight into the background of individual craft disciplines and cultivated skills of an inspired choice of means of visual language for better communication. The studio is also defined as a space for non-standard combinations of means of expression that reflect the results of thought processes and variations. The concept is a basic building block and should be in accordance with the selection of forms − artistic object, painting, photography and film.
Students work on their projects and also on given topics, which are more and more difficult each year of study. Consequently, there is a choice of media for various semesters. The purpose of the study is creating a visual surface, based on a text and realized mainly by printing techniques. Students will learn how to work in traditional graphic techniques in the categories of stencil, relief, chemical and digital printing, and other techniques and their combinations. Besides copying techniques, students are introduced to a range of graphic procedures, modifying a drawing as a fundamental means of expression. Along with traditional teaching methods, elements of new media are incorporated into the teaching. Another plan consists of work in the field of applied drawing and graphic art, which can include large-format drawings and print as well as interactive graphic projects.
characteristics of the field and career opportunities for graduates
Teaching of the specialization Illustration and Graphic Art is carried out in respective studios according to specializations.
Graduates have knowledge within the field of classic and new technical equipment and are able to use it independently or in appropriate combinations. Training obtained can be used according to individual specialization. The graduate can work as an independent creator or as a member of creative teams in graphics, advertising and DTP studios, museums, galleries and other cultural institutions, in educational institutions, public administration, business and enterprise, in web design, animation studios, as art director in a publishing company, to create E-learning, teaching aids, etc. The training can be used to address challenges in public space within exhibition and exposition projects in collaboration with architectural work. Graduates‘ knowledge and experience is evenly distributed among specialized practical skills and theoretical knowledge in the field of art culture and artistic creativity. Graduates are able to use acquired training for their own expression of a belief as well as for an original realization of assignments.
Graduates of this three-year Bachelor's Degree Study Program are well-equipped for practical careers. The most talented graduates can meet the conditions for admission to continue in the Master’s Degree Study Program at the FUD, another UWB faculty or any university in the Czech Republic and abroad.
entrance examinations for the above specializations
preparation for the entrance aptitude examination
When the conditions of the admission procedure and subsequent admission to the FUD have been fulfilled, students who have successfully completed these courses do not have to attend the same courses again and automatically get the respective credits, subject to specified conditions set by the Higher Education Act.
final state examination
The Final State Examination (hereinafter referred to as FSE) is carried out in the form of a general discussion according to the specified topics, published on the FUD website − see Final State Examination, Media and Didactic Illustration, Graphic Design, Comics and Illustration for Children, Book Design and Paper Shaping, Visual Communication, Illustration Graphic Art and Painting.
Parts of the Final State Examination:
- Defense of the practical and theoretical parts of the thesis, which was submitted in advance
- Exam in the theory and history of the field (specialization)
- Exam in the History of Art Bachelor′s Thesis Part of the state exam is to develop and defend the final thesis, which includes a theoretical part and the student′s own work of art.
Part of the state exam is to develop and defend the final thesis, which includes a theoretical part and the student′s own work of art.
Examples of Bachelor′s thesis topics − specialization: Illustration Graphic Art
- Woodcut in illustration − at least 18 compositions A4, monochrome woodcut
- Wood engraving in illustration − at least 18 compositions A5, monochrome wood engraving
- Linocut and lino engraving in illustration − at least 20 compositions A4, monochrome lino
- Gravure printing in illustration, author’s bibliophily − at least 12 gravure prints A5 linked to the text, cover
- Stencil print in illustration − a work-of-art book − at least 12 stencil color compositions A5
- Lithography in illustration − at least 12 compositions A4, monochrome compositions
- Digital illustration − dictionary entries, language textbooks, instructional literature
- Work-of-art book combining at least three different ways of printing, at least 32 pages
- Implementation of a large-format print in public space, at least a 150x200 cm model
- Experimental print in illustration − a series of posters – at least 8 compositions B1, linking the text and the image on a sheet
Each student has the opportunity to design and submit to the FUD Director for approval their own individual thesis topic.