about the specialization
The specialization Visual Communication prepares future designers for topics like information graphics, users′ manuals, publishing, digital interfaces, guidance and navigation systems, teaching and learning materials, and visual identity of cultural institutions, non-profit organizations, businesses, public institutions and administration. Study subjects include graphic, typographic and photographic techniques, digital graphic technologies, information and communication media, audiovisual equipment and information networks.
In the sphere of communication, students design comprehensive communication products. They coordinate and integrate graphic, typographical and photographic elements, film, audio and digital design and tools for different media. The study is focused on the methodology of designing teaching materials, publications, information campaigns, visual communication (learning systems with the involvement of new media for educational institutions, enterprises, public institutions, mass-media), scientific and technical communication (communicating goals, processes, structures and results within and between disciplines), and exhibition projects.
In the field of orientation – navigation, students develop and experimentally verify hierarchical arrangements of information, navigation and application of interactive programs, which they then apply to manuals, operating systems, orientation systems, visual identity, public and social communication (society, politics, transportation, housing and employment, environment, planning and culture), administrative and economic communication at all levels of government administration, regions, municipalities, social organizations and corporate identity.
characteristics of the field and career opportunities for graduates
Teaching of the specialization Illustration and Graphic Art is carried out in respective studios according to specializations.
Graduates have knowledge within the field of classic and new technical equipment and are able to use it independently or in appropriate combinations. Training obtained can be used according to individual specialization. The graduate can work as an independent creator or as a member of creative teams in graphics, advertising and DTP studios, museums, galleries and other cultural institutions, in educational institutions, public administration, business and enterprise, in web design, animation studios, as art director in a publishing company, to create E-learning, teaching aids, etc. The training can be used to address challenges in public space within exhibition and exposition projects in collaboration with architectural work. Graduates‘ knowledge and experience is evenly distributed among specialized practical skills and theoretical knowledge in the field of art culture and artistic creativity. Graduates are able to use acquired training for their own expression of a belief as well as for an original realization of assignments.
Graduates of this three-year Bachelor's Degree Study Program are well-equipped for practical careers. The most talented graduates can meet the conditions for admission to continue in the Master’s Degree Study Program at the FUD, another UWB faculty or any university in the Czech Republic and abroad.
entrance examinations for the above specializations
preparation for the entrance aptitude examination
When the conditions of the admission procedure and subsequent admission to the FUD have been fulfilled, students who have successfully completed these courses do not have to attend the same courses again and automatically get the respective credits, subject to specified conditions set by the Higher Education Act.
final state examination
The Final State Examination (hereinafter referred to as FSE) is carried out in the form of a general discussion according to the specified topics, published on the FUD website − see Final State Examination, Media and Didactic Illustration, Graphic Design, Comics and Illustration for Children, Book Design and Paper Shaping, Visual Communication, Illustration Graphic Art and Painting.
Parts of the Final State Examination:
- Defense of the practical and theoretical parts of the thesis, which was submitted in advance
- Exam in the theory and history of the field (specialization)
- Exam in the History of Art Bachelor′s Thesis Part of the state exam is to develop and defend the final thesis, which includes a theoretical part and the student′s own work of art.
Part of the state exam is to develop and defend the final thesis, which includes a theoretical part and the student′s own work of art.
Examples of Bachelor′s thesis topics − specialization: Visual communication
- Draft of an orientation system of a conservation area, nature reserve, revitalized industrial area, urban park, tourist site
- Design of visual identity: theater (both traditional and non-traditional forms), art gallery, music club, small businesses, non-profit organization, sports club, student club, hotel, restaurant, boarding house
- Design of visual identity of periodic cultural events: Children’s Film Festival, Contemporary Dance Festival, Music Festival, Theater Festival, Art Biennale
- Proposed solution for the exhibition project of a fair/exposition, museum exhibition, or exhibition of the results of a research project
- Design of a graphics solution for protective packaging – industrial products, food products
- Graphic design of an illustrated book edition of: fiction, poetry, textbooks, literature for children
- Design of graphics for a regional TV studio
- Design of a set of posters – theater, film, commercial, social, sporting
- Poster as a form of critical reflection
Each student has the opportunity to design and submit to the FUD Director for approval their own individual thesis topic.