about the specialization
The study focuses on the phenomenon of illustration as visual accompaniment of the text in a wide range of current applications. It is based on classic book and press illustration with all possibilities of printed media. Attention is equally given to practise illustration in other media, especially electronic media. Special attention is given to didactic illustration, which applies not only as an important part of textbooks and scientific publications, but also as a visual element of museum and gallery exhibitions. Teaching develops basic art skills of students, especially in drawing, graphic techniques, painting for reproduction, work with font and principles of graphic solutions to prints. Students will acquire control of image transmission into a specific graphic technique and scale, orientation in the character of the text and directing appropriate visual accompaniment towards a particular type of recipient − the reader. A substantial part of the course focuses on developing individual approaches to a specific assignment and respecting the genre and given specifications. Students solve illustration tasks in the form of complex artwork with a unified concept of all elements, using graphic text-editing skills, including working in graphic editors, book binding and generally working with paper. Students will also learn to work with both classical and manipulated photographs, drawing with drawing tablet and mastering electronic applications.
characteristics of the field and career opportunities for graduates
Teaching of the specialization Illustration and Graphic Art is carried out in respective studios according to specializations. Graduates have knowledge within the field of classic and new technical equipment and are able to use it independently or in appropriate combinations. Training obtained can be used according to individual specialization. The graduate can work as an independent creator or as a member of creative teams in graphics, advertising and DTP studios, museums, galleries and other cultural institutions, in educational institutions, public administration, business and enterprise, in web design, animation studios, as art director in a publishing company, to create E-learning, teaching aids, etc. The training can be used to address challenges in public space within exhibition and exposition projects in collaboration with architectural work. Graduates‘ knowledge and experience is evenly distributed among specialized practical skills and theoretical knowledge in the field of art culture and artistic creativity. Graduates are able to use acquired training for their own expression of a belief as well as for an original realization of assignments. Graduates of this three-year Bachelor's Degree Study Program are well-equipped for practical careers. The most talented graduates can meet the conditions for admission to continue in the Master’s Degree Study Program at the FUD, another UWB faculty or any university in the Czech Republic and abroad.
entrance examinations for the above specializations
preparation for the entrance aptitude examination
When the conditions of the admission procedure and subsequent admission to the LSFDA have been fulfilled, students who have successfully completed these courses do not have to attend the same courses again and automatically get the respective credits, subject to specified conditions set by the Higher Education Act.
final state examination
The Final State Examination (hereinafter referred to as FSE) is carried out in the form of a general discussion according to the specified topics, published on the LSFDA website − see Final State Examination, Media and Didactic Illustration, Graphic Design, Comics and Illustration for Children, Book Design and Paper Shaping, Visual Communication, Illustration Graphic Art and Painting.
Parts of the Final State Examination:
- Defense of the practical and theoretical parts of the thesis, which was submitted in advance
- Exam in the theory and history of the field (specialization)
- Exam in the History of Art
Part of the state exam is to develop and defend the final thesis, which includes a theoretical part and the student′s own work of art.
Examples of Bachelor's thesis topics
- Poetry Illustration − illustration and graphic design of a selected book of poetry; digital printing or any traditional printing techniques
- Illustrations of fairytales for children; any color technique
- Drawing in adventure literature, text rich in a dramatic storyline
- Bibliophily − any book, illustration with a cycle of graphics in some classical graphics technique
- Monthly or weekly calendar completed with variants of a literary text with illustrations, cutting sheets, coloring books or cycle of educational boards
- A set of instructional posters on the topic of a picture dictionary, pets, human anatomy, etc.
- Cycle of drawings on a literary theme
- Postage stamps – 15 designs for offset printing or gravure
- Postcards – at least 30 proposals for postcards; any traditional or innovative technologies on a given theme
- Folder for pre-schoolers inspired by poems
Each student has the opportunity to design and submit to the LSFDA Dean for approval their own individual thesis topic.